The microscopes of Alec Marcus
The microscopes seen here belonged to Alec Marcus (1917-2010). Alec was born in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, son of Meisha Gedalia Marcus and Reizel Marcus and husband of Jaffa Marcus (1924-1994). He was a member of the South African Gemology Society. The vast collection he brought with him to Jerusalem from South Africa was purchased by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem for their Minerals and Petrology Collection. This collection is outstanding for its emphasis on South African ore and Precambrian rocks including a selection of copper minerals from the famous Tsumeb mine in Namibia, where flooding has totally destroyed access to the underground deposits. Alec even worked as the collection's curator for 10 years. Alec donated most of his collection to the Department of Geology at the Hebrew University in memory of his dear son, the late David Marcus, who died of an illness at the age of 59.
Alec taught stone polishing at the Bezalel School of Art in Jerusalem. At the age of 85 he learned painting and created a large number of paintings.
I bought these two microscopes, which he brought with him from South Africa, from his son Ronnie in 2015.
Alec Marcus (1917-2010)
Cooke, Troughton & Simms, Ltd., York, "The Ore Microscope", 1954
The Cooke, Troughton & Simms (CTS) "Ore Microscope" was introduced in 1952 to allow both the examination of metallographical and opaque samples in reflected polarized light, as well as for mineral sections studied under transmitted light. By the post-WWII years, the introduction of graded diamond abrasives has overcome most of the difficulties in polishing mineral samples that have previously hindered the widespread use of this method. The CTS Ore Microscope has been designed to give the best available control over the conditions of illumination and extinction, and to provide for the complete analysis of the reflected elliptically-polarized beam. A robust stand of normal grade suitable for general research purposes and works control is provided with a stage rack, reflector unit, and the usual polarizing equipment. It may be adapted for transmitted light by the addition of the detachable substage shown on the right of · the figure (Hallimond and Tylor 1952).
The Greenough-type stereomicroscope that came