Arthur Chevalier, Paris, Grand Modele, 1863-5
This very rare, massive double pillar continental limb instrument, the biggest model ever made by Arthur Chevalier, is signed “Arthur Chevalier Opticien, Fils et Sucs de Charles Chevalier, Palais royal 158 Paris". The optical tube slides into a carrier split in front to accept it. It has continental vertical screw fine focus. The entire upper portion of the microscope can rotate around the stage and the scope also swings 90 degrees. This design follows a concept first by the comparative anatomist Hercule Straus-Durckheim (1790-1865) and produced by Trecourt and Oberhauser in 1845. Louis Marie Arthur was the last in the Chevalier dynasty of opticians in Paris. It was in 1765 that Louis Vincent Chevalier moved the company to Quai du Palais, followed later by his sons Louis and Jacques Vincent. In 1823, the son of Jacques Vincent, Charles, made the first microscope forming a significant improvement in microscope technology. In 1830, Charles took over the company. He built the first universal microscope "rightly called universal because it is both horizontal, vertical, simple, compound, tilted, rectifier for dissections, chemistry, etc. ...". His son Arthur took the leadership from 1859 till 1874. The publication of the third edition of his book L'ètudiant micrographe : traité théorique et pratique du microscope et des préparations came later in 1882 and finally the company was closed in 1889.
According to the Golub Collection catalogue, based on information by Jeroen Meeusen, "In 1842, Charles Chevalier published his first and only catalogue describing his microscopes. Since a description of this instrument was not found in either the 1862 or 1865 Nachet catalogues, it can be concluded that this model was only in production for a very short time."
This microscope has no case.