Carl Zeiss, Stativ Ic, 1903
References: Mappes; German Museum Munich, Inv.-No. 3453; Collection of the Royal Microscopic Society, Inventory no. 272: 310 and 319; Billings Collection Washington, AFIP 17776 - 60-4713-107, p. 120, Fig. 226, and AFIP 39-60-4713-385, p. 123, Fig. 234; The Microscope Collection at the Science Museum London, Inventory No. 1989-151, 1986-528 and 1992-1094; Optical Museum of the Ernst-Abbe-Foundation Jena; Optical Museum Oberkochen; Pathological-anatomical Federal Museum Vienna, Museum Nos. 25.346, 29,093 and 26,568; Microscope Collection of the Moscow Polytechnic Museum, inventory number PM 007897 (MIM 430), Oxford Museum of History of History, Inventory Nos. 20525 and 68970; Boerhaave Museum Leiden, NL, inventory # V03062; Historic Microscopes at the Laupus Health Sciences Library, East Carolina University, Inventory no. G4
This microscope was manufactured in 1903. It is based on a new design by Max Berger of Zeiss first introduced in 1898 (Zeitschrift fur Instrumentenkunde, vol. XVIII, 1898, pp. 129-133). This microscope bears the serial number 37910, dating it to 1903. The major innovations of this design were a new type of fine adjustment and a limb having an integral handle (now, often referred to as a "Jug-Handle" microscope). While this microscope is perfectly suited for conventional work, this particular model was made for the purposes of photomicrography and projection. Accordingly, the main tube and the knobs are made of aluminum presumably to reduce the weight on the fine adjustment mechanism thus allowing it to be more sensitive and responsive when the microscope is inclined in the horizontal position (later versions of this model dispensed with the use of aluminum). (Article from the Quekett Microscopical Club).
The plan and concave mirrors are here still connected via a dovetail with the carriage of the lighting apparatus, later tripods of this type are characterized by an inserted into the end of the rack mirror fork. A large cross table takes up the rehearsal. This microscope stand is offered from 1898 as the largest and for all microscopic work suitable tripod. Due to the large tube diameter, the microscope is very well suited for micro-projection and photomicrography. Funnels added to the tripod allow easy mounting of a camera.